Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Great Debate

How many kids is the right amount? Don't ask us.
Matt and I have always agreed that we both wanted 2 kids. It was something we talked about early and often. We also agreed that we wanted our kids to be roughly 2-3 years apart in age. The only thing we ever disagreed on was the genders. He's always wanted 1 of each and I refuse to have anything other than boys. I am not built to raise girls. Period.
But things have changed and Matt and I are on different pages as far as another child is concened. He absolutely wants another according to plan, I am 99% sure that I absolutely don't. I've given him my list of reasons and he says none of them justify raising an only child and has a list of his own reasons why we should. I'll share these lists with you so you can see where we stand.
My List of Why Nots:
* I hated being pregnant. With a passion.
* I had complications with the last pregnancy and will likely have more severe complications with future pregnancies
* I didn't adjust well to mommyhood the first several months and Logan is a very very well behaved happy baby. The next one will not be.
* Affording a second baby would take some serious budgeting and take away from the things we are able to do as a family as well as things both Logan and Baby#2 are able to participate in down the line.
* I really really really don't want to have a girl (I know this sounds like a totally vain and silly reason but I myself)
* Matt is of very little help in the day to day care of Logan. He doesn't do diapers or feeding. He doesn't even know how to put the carseat in/out of the car or strap Logan into it. Seriously. He can play with him like a champion but other than that, not so much.
His reasons we should:
* Logan will be spoiled as an only child
* Logan will grow up lonely and isolated
* He really wants a girl
* Logan should have family even after we're gone
If he has more reasons that those he's never shared them with me. These are the only things he tells me over and over again.
At least we can both agree that this is not the proper time to begin trying to have another one. Matt needs to re-enlist and get through his training for the new job not to mention getting his new assignment and us getting moved. So we've got at least another year to argue about it. But I know as soon as we get settled into the new place this coversation is going to begin again.
The interesting thing is that we actually both agree that if we were to add to our family we both would prefer to adoopt. Which also brings up its on dilemma's because it is so expensive and getting an adoption to go through for a military family is exceedingly difficult. So I've asked him if he would consider getting a vasectomy and he plans on it. Just not for another couple years. I honestly think that he is hoping that he accidently knocks me up LOL!!
Its something obviously we'll be discussing for the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment