Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I keep envisioning a scene from Beauty and the Beast. Its the scene where Belle's father is on his way to the fair to show off his invention. They are running late and on a path through the forest. Suddenly as it begins to grow darker, the path comes to a split. One side is well lit, open and birds are flying happily throughout. The other is overgrown, misty, dark and foreboding. The horse starts off for the bright trail but the rider steers him towards the darker thinking it is a short cut to the fair.

This is an exact representation of where I am in my life right now. The problem is that I can't decide if I want to be the horse...or the rider.

If I continue the way I've been going it would be to follow the brighter path. Its been a path nice to me thus far. Sure there has been some clouds roll over head and I've certainly found a pothole or two. Perhaps even a fallen tree that took some work to get around, but a pleasent ride. But the nagging voice in my head saying the darker path could be a short cut is ever present. Is it really a short cut though? Or will it just lead me far off my "happy" trail to come to a sudden drop off. Then what? Fall off the cliff or turn around and make my way back down the hard path only to make it back to where I started having taken an absolutely un-necessary diversion.

Ugh. I wish I knew where the other path led and if its worth it to follow it. Mostly I wish I could just be content with the happy well lit path and continue on my merry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment