Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pectus Excavatum

Matt is on leave this week. Originally we were going to drive to Dallas to visit his brother and his wife. We were both really looking forward to this trip. However Matt's kidney stone and the Army's reluctance to do anything to get rid of the thing has ruined our plans yet again.

He is having to see a urologist off Post and have a procedure done to remove the stone. I won't get into detail but it involves a claw on a very long stick and will be inserted via an already exsisting hole. I'm sure he'll be thrilled. Unfortunately since he has had it for so long they are also going to have to insert a stint to keep the urethra open whilst it heals and then about 10 days later he'll have to go in to have the same procedure to remove the stint. Poor guy.

We took Logan to his 4 month check up this week. He recieved one of the shots he needs and has to go back at the end of the week to recieve another that they were out of. He was a trooper though. Only cried for a moment or two and then was back to smiling and laughing at all the people he saw. He truly is an unusually happy baby. Something I am more and more grateful for everytime I see an unruly baby.

We also had to take him to get some chest xrays. He has had a depression in his chest since birth but it was slight and we were told it was only visible because he had lost so much weight after birth. As he grew it would fill out. Well it hasn't. In fact as he gains weight he is becoming more and more dominant. So I did a bit of research and had the xrays taken. Turns out I was right and he has a condition called Pectus Excavatum. Which is basically where his sternum bends back towards his spine instead of out towards his chest. Apparently he has a mild case, though I'm not sure what that means in relation to others but fine. It may need to be corrected as a teen. It may begin to impede his breathing ability and it may not. It's something we'll watch and begin to discuss corrective options when he's old enough to have some input and decision making ability.

Other than that he is completely healthy weighing in at 17.2 lbs and over 26 inches long.

I'm doing a Thanksgiving dinner here at the house for soldiers who aren't going home for the holiday. I've forbidden them from sitting alone in their barracks or homes and eating at the d-fac. No reason they can't enjoy a home cooked turkey dinner. Thank goodness my great-grandmother spent all those years insisting I learn how to prepare holiday meals. Now they won't go to waste.

In a little over a month Logan and I will be flying home to Seattle for Christmas. Matt will follow a few days later when block leave begins. I haven't been home in over 18 months and for Matt it will be just under 2 years so it will be nice to have a full 2 weeks home together. I have been thinking of possibly changing my flight and going home even a few days earlier since so many people have yet to see Logan. but really I don't want to spend the extra hundreds of dollars since we already spent close to a grand to fly home in the first place. Plus I think Matt would really miss Logan being gone that long. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment